|This page refers to version 1.04 of railVIVID®.|
Therefore the content is possibly outdated.
The current version is 1.1.
What is railML®?
railML® (railway markup language) — a description language based on XML-schemas — contributes importantly to the standardisation of processes in train informatics by providing a generally valid exchange format. The railML®- subshemas are structured into four different areas: Timetable, Infrastructure, Rolling Stock and Interlocking. Additional railML®- subschemas, e.g. personnel dispatching, facility management or real time data, are currently planned and in discussion. A railML®- file can consist of several subschemas. The division allows every single railML®- compatible application to use parts of the overall scheme in different combinations.
The word and figurative mark (logos) railML® are registered trademarks at the Office for Harmonisation in the internal market. Nevertheless the registering sign will be omitted in the following due to transparency reasons.
Aim of the software is to provide an alternative to the customary IT in the area of railways. The user shall be supported by the preparation of proposals, contracts and similar documents to the point that the handling of necessary railML - data becomes greatly facilitated. This is realised by high quality graphic and textual displays of the inserted railML data. The programme railVIVID offers a wide variety of options, with which profound insights into the railML data become possible. Furthermore a validation against the official railML-schema is implemented. In the long term railVIVID will contribute to increasing the quality of the railML-standard and to spreading it further. The development of railVIVID is part of the actvities of the UIC-ERIM-working group.
Features of the programme
The application railVIVID was developed with the object-oriented programming language Java. Therefore an independece of the system plattform of the user is realised as far as possible and all common operating systems are supported. Significant features and characteristics of the programme are:
• Independence of the application (stand alone application)
• Support of different operating systems, e.G. Windows, Mac OSX, Unix
• Support of different railML-versions 2.0 / 2.1 / 2.2 / 2.3 / 220.127.116.11
• Modular software architecture within Open Source
The Programme railVIVID was exclusively developed to visualise railML-data. It is explicitly not aim of the software to modify or create railML-data.
railVIVID is published under the European Union Public Licence (EUPL v1.1):
- The EUPL
- is translated to 22 offical languages of the European Union and released by the European Comission
- is certificated by the Open Source Initiative (OSI)
- considers the differences and characteristics of the laws of the member countries and the European community (copyright, expressions, informations, warranty, liability, applicable law and place of jurisdiction)
- allows downward compatibility to the most important other licences (including the often used "General Public Licence" (GPL))
- provides a guideline and assistance (frequently asked questions - FAQ) for users and developers
- Joinup European Commission
|Version number||Version description|
|0.80||Preview release for UIC- and railML-Conference on the 28th of April 2015 in Paris|
|0.85||Preview release for a selected group of users for testing purposes on the 13th of May 2015|
|0.88||Preview release for a selected group of users for testing purposes on the 30th of June 2015|
|0.89||Preview release for a selected group of users for testing purposes on the 31st of July 2015|
|0.90||Release for the (pre-) acceptance by the contracting authority on the 8th of September 2015|
|1.00b||Release of last beta version for the 29th railML-Conference on the 10th of March 2016|
Your remarks and comments on the current release status are explicitly welcome. Please send your feedback via email to email@example.com.